The Flying Carpet

Monday, March 13, 2006

Yoga Workshop


This weekend I did a yoga workshop with Nina and Olaf, two American teachers from Oregon. Olaf is certified by the supreme Ashtanga guru, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, to teach Ashtanga. The couple just returned from a 4 year stint in Mysore, India with the master.

On Friday they did a joint demo and talk. All I had to do was watch. On Saturday we did Primary Series traditional class style. Olaf called the poses and they both went around giving adjustments. I swear nobody touched me, which was disappointing. The reason to do workshops is to get new adjustments and hopefully take new poses, or take the old poses better. My breath was very strong though, so I was happy with that. On Saturday afternoon Olaf called another 2 hours of mixed Primary and Intermediate Series poses. Once again minimal adjustments.

Yes, that was 4 hours total of active yoga. I crawled to my car, into the shower, and directly to bed at 6 PM. I was bummed because I didn't really have any breakthroughs, but I didn't get hurt either. Injuries can be common at workshops also.

Sunday morning it was back on the mat for the full Intermediate Series. See http://ashtangayoga.info/asana-vinyasa/intermediate-series/index.html for pictures of the poses. I have not done full intermediate in awhile, so I knew it would be interesting. Right away after warm-up Sun Salutations and the usual standing sequence I was able to take a pose I had never taken before: the gateway to the Intermediate Series, Pasasana, the Noose. I am not doing this pose perfectly because my heels aren't on the ground, but I am binding it, I am working it.

That was pretty cool. Then the Intermediate Series is backbend backbend backbend, which is fine with me. Back flexibility is my specialty. This was all smooth sailing. Eventually we came to Karandavasana, the Duck. So picture this: you are balanced on your forearms with your legs in the air. You take full lotus, then you bring your lotus down to rest just above your elbows, then back up, undo the lotus, and drop down to the four-legged staff pose, Chaturanga Dandasana. I can do none of this and have never attempted with assistance. For someone with so many personal space issues, I will put an amazing amount of trust in a good yoga teacher.

I need a little steadying just to balance on my forearms with my legs in the air, the peacock feather pose. I can put my feet in lotus without touching them from shoulderstand, but there I have a visual. From this position I couldn't see my feet and was trying to cross them the wrong way. Olaf quickly helped me into lotus, them guided me down, back up, and out into the staff pose on the floor. He made it feel like it was easy for me and like I was doing most of the work. I was exhilarated but incredibly shaken at the same time. I had to curl up in child's pose on the floor and shake for a second. Literally.

I fumbled my way through the rest of the Intermediate Series till the queen of backbends at the end. With assistance I am able to drop back and then grab the backs of my own heels while still standing. I have not done this for awhile, so I was psyched to get back into that pose. Olaf just had to steady my hips a little bit. When I take this pose first I drop back, then I start walking my hands back, and then I see feet. As it turns out they are my feet and then I grab them. It is a very weird feeling because the feet never really seem like they are mine till I touch them. Olaf said he could feel my spine popping off everywhere, but I was not aware of this. To take this pose all I think about are the feet.

So that was the yoga workshop. Now I can barely move. I did yoga in class this morning, but tomorrow is the full moon so I get a day off. No Ashtanga on new or full moons.

1 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Blogger Scottish Toodler said...

JM&J woman!!! I feel all stretchy just from reading that! You are my total inspiration for doing my 30 minute super slow hatha dvd every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home