The Flying Carpet

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Boots

I have always wanted a pair of cowboy boots. I never really felt though that I had the right to wear cowboy boots. I don't ride anymore. When I did ride I rode English. I'm not from a ranch or rural area. Hell, I can't even drive a 4 wheeler without running the thing up a tree, but that's another story. I don't even date a redneck anymore. It seemed to me somehow inauthentic for a girl from suburban Richmond VA to be running around in cowboy boots. Sort of like those gel-padded, bras, fake advertising.

But then my mom moved to Texas. After a few trips out here I thought "perfect, now I have at least a weak excuse to get boots." If people ask me about the boots I can say that I got them when visiting my mom in Houston.

At my mom's housewarming party I did a little field research amongst the locals regarding where to get boots. One fashonista who works with my mom and sports Carlos Santana cowboy boots pointed me toward Dillard's or Foley's. She explained that if I could find something I liked it would be cheaper than the western stores. She even mentioned that there was a sale going on at Foley's, or Dillard's.

We had decided to go to the Galleria anyway so I could stock up at Teavana. I support my local tea shop also, but for some inventory you need Teavana. After Teavana we checked Foley's, no boots. Then Dillard's. There was in fact a half off sale. I immediately found my dream boots. Brown with red contrast stitching and fancy stitching across the toe. Soft leather, not too high, comfy on the foot. No fake ostrich, not too much heel. Excellent. My mom even got them for me as a birthday present, April 17th everyone.

On the way home we went to a western store so I could get a belt and belt buckle to go with. I looked over the boots at the western store, the cheapest was $200 and I didn't like any of them nearly so well as my find at Dillard's. I got a longhorn belt buckle and a plain brown belt to match the boots. I was thinking about the concho belt, but I wanted to start with something more versatile and work toward the conchos.

Now I am all set to return east tomorrow with my new western gear. I will be sporting my new boots and buckle through the airports. I know I will have to strip at security, but I am ready for that. Getting on a plane is nothing compared to what I go through each night going to work.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Blogger Scottish Toodler said...

You bought them citified fancy boots...just kidding!! EVERY girl should own a pair of cowboy boots... and red flats... but that is just my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home